Sentimental Sundays - Rough Around The Edges

A TRIBUTE TO MY DAD

I really enjoyed figuring out what type of card I'd make with this guy and with the color choices we were given for the challenge.  He's from Dude Time Doodles and they have such fun images.  Our theme this week at SS is a color theme.  Pop on over to SENTIMENTAL SUNDAYS to see the colors that we had to work with and that you will have to work with in your entries.  They were uber fun!




I sent this card to my dad, who had a massive stroke and, well, let's say is not who he was the night before the stroke, when he and I had a conversation after 6 months of not speaking to one another!  Talk about serendipity!  I just had this massive psychic pull that I had to call him and check in to how he was doing and what was up with him and it was a lovely and loving conversation, where I was able to tell him I loved him, as I had come to do in the last few years and he had come to do with me also after we made a very significant agreement with each other, which I will talk about later in this post.  I know my dad was ALWAYS proud of me, my education, my work and how I fought to get ahead of mental illness, my job, and the challenges of having sibblings who abandoned me 20 years ago.  We were proud of each other, even though we shared this love/hate relationship - "that we both accepted and did not punish each other for."  I am my father's daughter...that was the issue!!!! So much alike in the starshine side and so much alike in the stubborn side!  And so it was...

He was this guy on my card as long as I can remember him - he was my hero!  A hero I loathed and a hero I loved...but like it or lump it - we were one and the same!  And fought the same mental illness battles.  We understood each other like no two other people in our family in this arena. haha He always called me Dr. Navi., something I will never forget.  He was always thankful for the medical advise I gave him and I was always thankful how he recognized in the first two syllables of my "hello" how I was doing - well or depressed - and he would tell, yes tell me what to do to care for myself.  Because he recognized depressed people are beyond making those decisions.  He was my champ - but sometimes a champ I had to go away from to balance myself because we are both so strong and "out there" that I hurt him and he hurt me.  But you know what...we would hurt in our respective corners, then I'd call back and he'd just say, "Hi, how've you been doing?  What's up with you these days.  Always accepting, never punishing for going away....because of what I will tell you below about our agreement!

He won't recognize anything on the card, or be able to read it or understand it but when I visited last, he did show the nurses my cards, so there is something that still has pride in my artistic abilities that I inherited from him, although my mother can sew anything she looks at - especially the best curtains, pillows, cushions, dolls etc. So, I guess I, and my own daughter, son and son were all blessed with artistic ability in the forms of  (me) Bohemian Art, (Ayla)Realistic Art and Photography, and (Jordan) Music Making, Commercial/Pre-movie Making, Guitar, and Synthesizing and (Taylor) Psychiatry (ohhhhhh yesssssss - believe me - as a Reverend and an Institutional Psychiatric/Rehab Chaplain - this too takes one heck of a creative mind, soul and spirit!)  Besides, Taylor is also awesome at the African Drums!

So thanks Mom and Dad.

btw: It is only me that is tangential!!!! lol My Professor even put that on my app for a Ph.D in Philosophy!

So this card is for you DAD!  And on its way to the Nursing Home by Mail.  I hope it jogs something in your memory about how you were pre-stroke.  Love you forever and will always keep to our agreement with each other: 

"We will NEVER EVER abandon each other!"














And believe me, I worked for my Dad when I was 18 at his Company on the top floor of the Royal York Hotel and "he was a bad boy!" LOL  But he always went home to my mom for 65 precious years!

FINDING THE ZEN IN THE PEN

36 comments:

  1. Samara your story is beautiful, your writing touched my heart. I am teary eyed sitting here praying for your father's health. I hope and pray he gets better and be able to recognize the things he loved and liked to do.
    Your card has so much meaning and is filled with so much love, he will love it.. even though he might not be able to recognize what it's about or what it says.. he will love it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sam, this is such a loving tirbute card for your dear Dad. It is so heart-warming to know that you have your agreement and that the love & pride & respect is there, strong & beautiful. Thank you for sharing.
    Hugs,
    Sam

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Samara
    You really poured your heart out, sweetie. As I am reading it
    I am crying too
    but not only because how moving your story is
    but also your story hits me because of issues
    with my own parents.
    I am so sorry about your father having a massive stroke.
    After something like this happening life is never the same
    again. Thank God for memories. Life is certainly not a walk in
    the park on a sunny day and relationships with the closest
    nearest and dearest can sometimes be very complicated but I am glad to hear that despite your rocky times you had in the past you found some middle ground. The card you made for him is really something to be proud of and made with so much love. I hope your father is as comfortable as it is humanly possible for him. Lots of positive thoughts, love and hugs from me.
    Michaela xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful card for your father. He may not be able to convey his thoughts but in his heart he will know. I will be praying for you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is lovely! Perfect for our Challenge at One Stitch at a time, thank you for sharing and good luck with the Challenge. Judy DT

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great card! Thanks for joining the Stamp N Plus Challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is a lovely card for your dad. It is full of love and humour. Thank you for sharing it with our Anything Goes Challenge at Stamp N Plus.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a cathartic experience your crafting is for you (well for all of us really). I love the design you've used and the papers. Thank-you for sharing your story and your card with us at The Poodles Parlour!
    {Hugs} Barb, DT

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love the card you made for your dad, great job! Thanks for joining us this week at Tammy's Scrapin Corner. DT Member Shannon83k

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very cool card and such an inspirational story - Thanks so much for sharing it with us at the Pile it On Challenge this week.

    ReplyDelete
  11. cool card sweetie. Looks amazing.
    Big hugs and a wonderful week
    Doreen xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. Fantastic card - sch a great image.
    Thanks for joining us at Digi Doodle Shop Challenges this week xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great story and great card! Thanks for playing with us at Paper Playtime. :) Janis P.S. Check out my other challenge blog @ http://pausedreamenjoychallenges.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great card for your dad and thank you for sharing your story. I hope your dad will get better. Awesome fun design of your card. Thank you for joining us at Craft A Scene this month!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Samara - thanks for sharing your touching story and your lovely card at Lexi's Creations this time. Best wishes to you and your Dad.
    Helen x (DT

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi there! Saw you on MIM. Just wanted to let you know I have blog candy if you're interested. :)
    My Blog Candy

    ReplyDelete
  17. Absolutely beautiful, fab colour combos. Thank you for joining us at OSAAT. good luck Trisha x DT

    ReplyDelete
  18. Fabulous card! Thanks for joining us at Addicted to Stamps Someone Special Challenge. Hugs Teresa x

    ReplyDelete
  19. What a great masculine card. Thanks for joining us at Aud Sentiments
    Hugs,
    Julie

    ReplyDelete
  20. Wow, what a story about your dad. and a neat memory of working for him in his office at the Royal York. Fabulous card you've made for him. Thanks for joining us at Crafty Creations Challenges.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Wonderful card you made for your father.

    I,myself, suffer from Bi-polar. I am not as bad as my brother (another gut wrenching story, but will tell you about it in private if you are interested, hun ) but I still have my issues that I continue to work on daily, sometimes moment by moment.

    Congratz on working on your degree in Ministry!

    I found you through Outlawz and am now your newest follower :o)

    Have a wonderful week {{{hugz}}}

    ReplyDelete
  22. Samara , my friend.. It was great to see you back blogging and joining in the fun with your old team OSAAT.. Thankyou for stopping by and sharing your art and story with us.
    Great big hugs to you my friend.
    Choccy xxx

    ReplyDelete
  23. Love the background. Fabulous card!
    I saw your link on MIM, I'm #82 this week, I'd love it if you stopped by.

    Cheers,
    Kasey ~ in Oz

    ReplyDelete
  24. Thank you for joining us at Lexi's Creations this time!

    Chrizette
    DT Member
    Celestial Things

    ReplyDelete
  25. Great masculine card. I love the colors. Thanks for playing with Great Impressions.

    ReplyDelete
  26. A great card for a man!
    Thank you for playing along at Addicted to Stamps Someone Special challenge!
    Hugs Kjersti:)

    ReplyDelete
  27. This is a great man card. I am sure you dad loves this card.
    I am so pleased you
    decided to join us for our Challenge.
    Hugs, Founder and Owner of Tammy's Scrapin Corner, Tammy Ortiz

    ReplyDelete
  28. A wonderful male card. Thanks for sharing with us at Corrosive challenges and good luck.
    Mags
    x

    ReplyDelete
  29. I think this is the most heart warming and honest post I've read in quite some time. Your praise and tribute to your family; especially your father was inspiring and motivational all in one. Your card to him is superb as it truly supports what you will always admire about the hero in your life. Despite the differences or likeness, family is family and what a wonderful way to recognize your relationship with him.

    Thank you so much for taking the time to link up your talent and creative ideas with us at Make It Monday!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Great card. Thanks for joining in with our anything goes challenge over at OSAAT and good luck. Hugs Julie

    ReplyDelete
  31. Thank you for sharing your card with the DT from SSS and S. Love the image and the colors, good luck hugs terry xxx

    ReplyDelete
  32. Fabulous guy card. Those can be so hard sometimes. Thanks for joining us at Stamp N Plus.

    ReplyDelete
  33. love that bottle cap!!!
    thanks for joining us at PIO - good luck in the draw!! Kimberly -Dt
    http://leokc34.blogspot.ca

    ReplyDelete
  34. I saw your card at MIM and loved it, what a gorgeous card. Good luck in the challenge. JOx

    ReplyDelete
  35. Hi Samara,
    I have read this post twice, and I have finally come back this evening. Because I think this is such a wonderful tribute of love to your father. Thanks for sharing your heart, and for being REAL!
    Prayers & Blessings,
    Tameko

    ReplyDelete
  36. Hey Samara,
    I'm so behind in my commenting, but needed to get over here and leave some love. What a beautiful tribute to your father. I'm sure he was touched to receive a piece of your art in the mail. Even if he can't verbalize it, I bet it spoke to him. Your are such a wonderful person (I can tell from all the stories you share and support you give to us over at Sent. Sundays).
    Big hugs~Kathy

    ReplyDelete

My wish for you is a great day full of laughter! Samara x